In this Vegan lasagne I use vegan ingredients to replace meat lasagne recipe
- Soya mince replaces meat mince
- Plant based drinks like oat, soya, almond replace milk
- Vegan spread replaces butter
Things to watch for
Make sure the lasagne sheets are not made from egg otherwise they are not vegan. There are plenty of plant based drinks to replace milk – this recipe uses unsweetened soya drink. The meat free sauce needs careful flavouring – herbs, tomatoes, vegetarian seasoning, salt and pepper. Taste after it has cooked.
The recipe is made for 4 as it is hard to scale it down to serve 2.
180g meat free mince (Sainsburys) made from soya
1 tbs vegetable oil
Small aubergine 150g cut into slices then cubes
1 small onion 90g, peeled and finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ of a 400g can of tomatoes (200g + juice)
1 tbs tomato ketchup
Large pinch mixed, dried herbs
Vegan stock cube or 1 tsp vegan bouillon powder
Salt and pepper
Vegan white sauce
2 tbs vegetable oil
40g plain flour
400ml plant based drink – soya, oat, almond
Salt, pepper, grated nutmeg
4-6 sheets dried egg free lasagne 60 – 90g
- Mix the meat free mince with water and stir so it absorbs and swells.
- Gently fry the aubergine cubes, onion and garlic in oil in a large frying pan for 3-4 minutes until they soften, stirring all the time.
- Add the softened mince and stir in the tomatoes, tomato ketchup and a little water to make the sauce.
- Season with vegan bouillon and mixed herbs. Cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Make the white sauce. Heat the oil and flour in a pan for a minute to mix together then gently whisk in the plant-based drink until the sauce thickens.
- Season with salt, pepper and grated nutmeg.
- The lasagne is ready to assemble. Choose a dish that will serve 4.
- Put half the meat free mixture in the base of the dish, then layer on half of the sheets of lasagne.
- Spread in the remaining meat free mixture and top with the lasagne sheets.
- Pour over the white sauce so that it covers the lasagne sheets.
- To serve, set the oven to 150°C and bake 20 minute to thoroughly heat through. It should reach 75°C. Test with a food probe.