1 mark for each question. ½ mark each if there are 2 answers for 1 question. Total out of 20.
- When fat and sugar are creamed together what is formed? a) a creamery, b) a foam, c) a roux?
- What is the function of eggs in creamed cakes? a) add air, b) form structure, c) help fat melt?
- Which type of flour is used in creamed cakes? a) bread flour, b) sauce flour, c) self raising flour?
- What type of sugar is used in cake making because it has small crystals? a) brown sugar, b) caster sugar, c) granulated sugar.
- Name the protein in flour which forms the structure of bread and cakes.
- Name 2 raising agents used to make cakes rise.
- What raising agent is used to make choux pastry?
- What is the raising agent used to make a Swiss Roll rise?
- What ingredient is added to bread so that the dough ferments and rises?
- Which chemical ingredient is added to soda bread to make it rise?
Function of ingredients
- What gas is given off when baking powder is mixed with liquids?
- What is the property of fat in pastry?
- What happens if you handle pastry a lot? a) it gets greasy, b) the gluten develops, c) it gets tougher.
- When pastry bakes, the gluten in flour helps a) form the structure, b) make it soft, c) to add sugar.
- Which fat is not often used in pastry as it is made from pig fat? a) butter, b) lard, c) margarine?
- Which flour is used for shortcrust pastry? a) plain flour, b) self raising flour, c) bread flour?
- What happens if you add too much water to pastry?
- What changes take place when you marinate fish in lemon juice?
- What method of heat transfer is used when making toast?
- Which methods of heat transfer are used when boiling potatoes? a) convection, b) conduction, c) radiation?
Taken from Food Science You Can Eat