You must show how your choice of dishes has the right portion control. But how do you know?
An average man needs 2,500kcal a day for a healthy body weight.
An average woman needs 2,000kcal a day for a healthy body weight.
Our video link shows how to use The Nutrition Program for portion sizes
Exam board NEA 2 marking statements
Planning – Accurate portion control was evident Eduqas
You can check the portion size for meat, fish, chicken, fruits and vegetables on BUPA website
It’s a good idea to check out portion sizes of your favourite dishes using supermarket ready meals.
Sainsbury’s Ready Meals (Be good to yourself) give clues and their site shows portions.
- Fish pie weighs 450g serves 1 and provides 369kcal
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloni weighs 400g serves 1 and provides 357kcal
- Red Thai vegetable curry and rice weighs 350g serves 1 and provides 376kcal
- Smoked haddock risotto weighs 380g, serves 1 and provides 402kcal
What about the puddings?
- Apple and blackberry crumble portion weighs 60g, serves 1 and provides 217kcal
- Lemon meringue pie portion weighs 100g serves 1 and provides 296kcal
So for your GCSE Food Preparation Assessment choose
Main course 350-400kcal portions – don’t forget you may serve with rice and vegetables
Desserts about 300kcal and portion 60-100g
Nadiya Hussain’s Pear and Blackberry crumble recipe which serves 4.
Each portion provides 856kcals – the average supermarket dessert provides 200-300kcal.
If portion serving were increased to 8 then the portion is reduced to 428kcal which is a healthier option.